top of page
Flat wagon RNAD 269
Built by Gloucester Railway Carriage Works 1940, fitted a “Genuine torpedo that sank the Bismarck”
Originally bought for a future underframe for GER 853, but due to the original frame being in much better condition than first thought, flat 269 was restored for use in the freight train. The RNAD stands for the Royal Navy Armaments Department at Caerwent Gwent. This was a propellent factory making torpedoes and other explosives during WW2 and this wagon was a part of a fleet that transported torpedoes around the site.
So, to make the wagon a talking point we fitted the wagon with the “Genuine torpedo that sank the Bismarck” a replica made of a torpedo and secured with chains and a few other explosive items.
bottom of page