Builder: Hunslet Engine Co, Leeds
Build Date: 1940
Operators: Nassington Quarry, Peterborough
Withdrawn Date: 1970
Power Class: 16 inch
Configuration: 0-6-0 ST
GER Y14 / J15
Brush Type Two / Class 31
Class 8 D3935
Ring Haw, (Works No 1982), was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in 1940 to work at the Nassington Ironstone Quarries near Peterborough which opened that year. The locomotive was used to haul iron ore tipplers out of the quarries, usually three to four at a time, to the dispatch sidings to make up longer trains ready to be picked up and taken away on the mainline. Here it worked with fellow preserved Hunslet locomotive (Works No 1953 Jacks Green). Both locomotives continued to work at the quarry until 1970 when it closed and were therefore the last steam locomotives to work in ironstone quarries in England.
Ring Haw was gifted to the North Norfolk Railway in 1970. The locomotive returned to steam after its last overhaul in September 2014 and is shortly due for its next overhaul.
Ring Haw has enjoyed great popularity both on the NNR and during visits to other heritage lines including to the Nene Valley in 2015, where it was reunited with ‘Jacks Green’, and most recently, until January 2020, to the Spa Valley Railway.
The Society acquired Ring Haw in Spring 2020 as part of the financial support package Trustees made available to the Railway. Besides providing a substantial cash injection through the purchase, the Society will bring forward and finance Ring Haw’s next overhaul which will take place at the NNR’s Weybourne Works, and so bring business and income to the Railway.
Speaking in March 2020 Neil Sharpe, the Society Chairman said "The purchase of Ring Haw fits squarely with the Society’s mission to advance public education on East Anglian railways through the acquisition, restoration, preservation and exhibition of locomotives, rolling stock and other railway artefacts, and the injection of cash from the sale will undoubtedly provide a source of income to the railway at this time of emergency."