Freight & Wagons

CW%2520Blog%2520Button%25202_edited.jpg

 

The movement of freight by rail across the British Isles was the core staple for the railways. They were designated 'common carriers' until subsequent amendments in the 1953 Transport Act enabled the railways to refuse the conveyance of unprofitable goods. From the conception of the railway, they have always moved vast tonnages of raw materials - coal and minerals forming a large part of this traffic until the 1960s when traffic began to decline. Fish, newspapers, parcels, petroleum and aggregates were all regularly carried by rail, along with more specialist traffics.

The M&GN Joint Railway Society actively works to preserve and most importantly, operate a wide variety of vehicles associated with rail transport and particularly vehicles that relate to East Anglia and the former M&GN lines. The process to restore freight and goods wagons ensures the preservation of not only the vehicles themselves, but the skills in operating and maintaining the vehicles that would otherwise be lost.

Image-empty-state.png

12t Fruit van 755094

Owned by North Norfolk Railway. Built by BR Darlington 1950. Out of use awaiting full restoration.

Image-empty-state.png

12t Van fit 514207

Built by LMS Wolverton 1940. Ex MOD. In use at Weybourne as storage for the book shop.

Image-empty-state.png

12t Van fit 756939

Owned by North Norfolk Railway. Built by BR Wolverton 1949. Out of use awaiting full restoration.

Image-empty-state.png

12t Van wide B783071

Built by BR Wolverton 1962. Ex MOD. Out of use awaiting full restoration.

Image-empty-state.png

12t Van wide B784254

Privately owned. Built by BR Derby 1962. Operational.

Image-empty-state.png

13t Pipe wagon KDB 740918

Built by BR Wolverton 1954. Fitted with a hood and lettered M&GN, part of the freight train.

Image-empty-state.png

14t Tanker wagon 163058

Built by Hurst Nelson 1942, built during WW2 to supply the fuel needed by the British Armed forces.

Image-empty-state.png

14t Tanker wagon 164696

Built by Hurst Nelson 1944, built during WW2 to supply the fuel needed by the British Armed forces.

Image-empty-state.png

16t Oyster ballast plough 993707

Privately owned. Built by R Y Pickering 1950. Operational.

Image-empty-state.png

16t mineral wagon B558090

Built by Pressed Steel 1957 - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE! In 16 months, this wagon was turned around from rusty wreck to restored example with a dummy load of granite chippings.

Image-empty-state.png

20t Brake van DB 950133

Built by BR Wolverton 1949. Ended its days in March as Departmental ADB 950133

Image-empty-state.png

20t Loriot N 904093

Built by BR Swindon 1952

Image-empty-state.png

25t Brake van 55167

Owned by North Norfolk Railway. Built by SR Ashford 1948. Operational in freight train.

Image-empty-state.png

AF Container AF65970

Built by BR Earlestown 1958

Image-empty-state.png

Ballast hoppers HW426 & HW429

Owned by North Norfolk Railway. Built by Gloucester railway carriage works 1955. Ex London Transport.

Image-empty-state.png

Bogie bolster B940007

Owned by North Norfolk Railway. Built by BR Swindon 1949. In use by NNR Engineering.

Image-empty-state.png

CCT S1439

Privately owned. Built by BR Ashford 1951. Covered Carriage Truck, with end doors missing and planked over.

Image-empty-state.png

Colman’s Van 4807

Built by Harrison & Camm 1908

Image-empty-state.png

Conflat wagon B502824

Built by Pressed Steel 1958, to carry the AF Container.

Image-empty-state.png

Flat wagon RNAD 269

Built by Gloucester Railway Carriage Works 1940, fitted a “Genuine torpedo that sank the Bismarck”

Image-empty-state.png

Fruit D W92097W

Built by BR Swindon 1958. Part of the freight train.

Image-empty-state.png

Low Mac ADB 904148 & 904149

Both owned by North Norfolk Railway and built by BR Shildon 1960. 904148 in use in the freight train. 904149 in use with cattle box 633023 inside BRCS.

Image-empty-state.png

M&GN Brake riding van No12

Built by BRCW Birmingham Railway Carriage Works 1881. The body minus verandas and toolbox was a grounded body at Thursford where it had been since being withdrawn in 1945.

Image-empty-state.png

PMV 1359

Built by SR Ashford 1939. Parcel Miscellaneous Vehicle ended up in departmental service as DS70283, in use in the freight train.

Image-empty-state.png

PMV S1476

Built by BR Wolverton 1951. Ended up in departmental service as DB975563, in use as Model railway at Weybourne.

Image-empty-state.png

Passenger train cattle box 633023

GER No9 built by GER Stratford 1888. In 1910 the GER built a new batch of cattle wagons with attendants’ compartment, after being requested by the farmers.

Image-empty-state.png

Plate wagon M726631

Owned by North Norfolk Railway. Built by LMS Wolverton 1947. Ex Boulton & Pauls Norwich, in use in freight train.

Image-empty-state.png

Tank wagon 53083

Owned by North Norfolk Railway. Built by BR Shildon 1965. Last used by BR in an emergency exercise at North Walsham gas depot and laid down on its side. Operational and in use in freight train.

Joint Heritage Coach Fund

The Joint Heritage Coach Fund supports the restoration of the M&GN Joint Railway Society's carriages and wagons. Members contribute through monthly standing order donations or one off donations and help to fund the cost to restore many of the unique vintage vehicles in the Society's possession.

JHCF members also get the opportunity to visit vehicles under restoration in Weybourne workshops during the M&GN Society Members' Day.

JointHeritageCoachFund_edited.jpg